|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Former court complex|
This complex was built in 1861 from buff brick and stucco and was designed by Charles Reeves. The complex consists of three large arched buildings. The wings have flat roofs. The single storey entrance projection has rusticated pilasters and a central entrance with royal arms above the main cornice. The complex was converted into housing in 2000.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 61227 02988|
|Parish:||DOWNHAM MARKET, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Former court complex.
1861, Buff brick and stucco. Three large arched buildings with stucco archivolts and keys against eaves cornice. Wings with flat roofs; single storey entrance projection with rusticated pilasters and central entrance with royal arms above main cornice.
Details from (S1).
(S2) says architect was Charles Reeves, replaced an earlier building in use in 1856.
(S3) is wrong in saying the office block is later than the courtroom. Converted to housing in 2000.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 September 2004.
It appears that this building was in fact erected in 1851. The architectural drawings for the building are dated 1850, and (S4) dating from 1851 reports that the construction of Downham's new County Court House was complete.
Information from (S5).
A. Cattermole (HES), 29 March 2011.
- MAGISTRATES COURT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2011. For sale: the home that brought order to the court.. 6 January. |
|---||Photograph: 2000. Photographs of The Old Courthouse, Downham Market. Colour. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Graham, C.. 2003. Ordering law: the architectural and social history of the English law court.. p 409. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. p 332. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: 1851. Lynn Advertiser. 16 August. |
|<S5>||Correspondence: Cansdale, R.. 2011. Letter from Ronald Cansdale (Downham Heritage Society) to Stephen Heywood (NCC).. March 2011. |
|MNO555||Related to: Old Magistrates Court London Road DOWNHAM MARKET (Revoked)|
Find out more...