|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Fordham|
This medieval church has various post medieval restorations. Sections of the nave and chancel date to around 1400. In 1730 the tower collapsed and destroyed much of the buidling. The nave and chancel were subsequently repaired, but the tower, south aisle, vestry and a chancel chapel were demolished. There was further restoration work in the 19th century. Inside, there is a medieval coffin slab in the chancel.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 6165 9964|
|Parish:||FORDHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
July 1951. Listed, Grade II*.
Parish church. Late 13th century, mid 14th century and 1730. Carstone and ashlar with slate roof (pantiles to chancel). Nave and chancel, the tower demolished 1730. Diagonal buttress to north-west, flat to south-west with additional c.1730 brick buttress to south of west end. Rendered west bell-cote. South aisle removed and 3-bay arcade blocked reusing 2 2-light early Perpendicular windows. Eaves rebuilt in brick. 3 stepped buttresses. Similar chancel south window and 2-light Y north window (no east window). East nave gable rebuilt 1730 in brick with tumbling. 3 stepped buttresses to north nave, one 2-light window as south, one 3-light 15th century perpendicular window with supermullions.
Interior: Chancel arch on demi-columns with high polygonal bases and moulded circular capitals supporting wave moulded arch. Rere-arch to north window. 1730 nave roof : tie beams, principals and collars on arched braces, 2 tiers staggered butt purlins with windbracing to upper tier.
Information from (S1).
Contains carrstone, limestone, brick, some conglomerate and flint but mostly of about 1400.
Nave, chancel. Tower collapsed 1730 wrecking church; aisle and chapel afterwards removed. Some 19th century restoration. Contains fine medieval coffin slab.
Report (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 10 July 1990.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GRAVE SLAB (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1904. Hundred of Clackclose. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIII. pp 127-132. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Serial: 1819. Excursions through Norfolk. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 340. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2013. Church gets a new lease of life with its first service for 21 years. 27 July. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1205531. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1990. Building Report. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...