|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Cropmarks of medieval/post medieval road and field boundary|
Cropmarks of a medieval to post medieval road and field boundary are visible on aerial photographs. The road is shown on maps dating from 1797 and 1826, but it had fallen out of use by 1834 when the Happisburgh tithe map was produced.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 38470 30099|
|Parish:||HAPPISBURGH, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
September 2004. Norfolk NMP.
Cropmarks of a medieval to post medieval road and field boundary are visible on aerial photographs (S1). These cropmarks are centred on TG 3847 3010. Three parallel ditch cropmarks extend for 72m between TG 3845 3012 and TG 3849 3006. It is likely that the outer ditches define the course of a medieval to post medieval road which is depicted on Faden's 1797 and Bryant's 1826 maps of the county ((S2) to (S3)). This road joined the southern end of Lighthouse Lane at TG 3834 3044 and continued further to the south where it is recorded as NHER 38743. Both parts of this road had gone out of use by the time of the Happisburgh tithe map in 1834 (S4) when its line survives only as a field boundary. It is likely that the third ditch cropmark relates to a post medieval field boundary along the line of the road. Finds possibly from the line of this road include NHER 34923.
J. Albone (NMP), 3 September 2004.
- DITCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- ROAD (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. NHER TG 3830AX (NLA 365/JFD10) 28-JUN-1996. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S4>||Map: Joseph Manning. 1834. Happisburgh Tithe Map 1834 (NRO DN/TA 417). |
Related records - none
Find out more...