|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval pumping station|
A post medieval pumping station/house appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. A second pumping house was built in 1836, with a new engine and pump added to the original house in 1942. Whereas the second building was demolished in 1973, the original building and 1942 engine survive.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 6051 9915|
|Parish:||FORDHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Drainage pump. 'Stone gravel mill' on Ordnance Survey map of 1836 (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).
January 2001. Building resembling an engine house, gabled roof with row of tall rounded windows in both side and gable walls, seen only from distance, on this site.
Draining pump on (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 22 January 2001.
(S3) explains that the engine house was for a beam engine by Overton and Wilson of Hull, with flywheel, installed for the Pratt Estate, Boiler replaced 1877. Replaced by an Allen diesel 1936 in new building whereas the original was used in 1942 for a Ruston engine driving a Gwynne pump. Allen building removed 1973. Chimney demolished 1940. Boiler stood for a time in the open air as an oil tank. Electric pump installed 1980. Original building and Ruston engine preserved as a private museum.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 October 2004.
- WIND PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PUMPING STATION (19th Century - 1847 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1928. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Hinde, K.. 2004. Pumping Stations in the Norfolk Fens Part 3, East of Ouse.. NIAS Journal. vol 7, pt 4, p 92.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...