Record Details

NHER Number:4453
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Hilgay

Summary

This medieval church was restored in 1862 by G.E. Street. The interior dates to the 14th century. The arcade was remodelled in the 15th century. The aisle retains its original roof. The tower was built in 1794. Outside there are several 18th century gravestones. An Early Saxon pot was found in the churchyard in 1879 with an iron spearhead, remains of a wooden haft and an iron pin. These objects may have accompanied an Early Saxon burial.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 6224 9811
Map Sheet:TL69NW
Parish:HILGAY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

One Early Saxon pot found in churchyard 1879 with iron spearhead and iron pin (remains of wood haft). Probably early type.
See (S1).
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

Interior 14th century, arcade remodelled 15th century, original aisle roof - arched braced and tracery. Nave roof and exterior by Street 1869 to 1870. Tower 1794, old screen, monument 1592.
See (S2).
E. Rose (NAU).

Listed Grade II*.
Six 18th century headstones listed grade II.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 January 1986.

December 2000. Tower visited.
It is dated 1794 but the white bricks have diagonal skintlings. These usually die out around 1770 to 1780 but the bricks could have been stockpiled.
E. Rose (NLA), 3 December 2000.

Early Saxon burial recorded as HLG A2 in (S3).
M. Dennis (NLA), 8 March 2006.

Monument Types

  • INHUMATION (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • PIN (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • PLANT REMAINS (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • SPEAR (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Clarke, R. R. 1940. Norfolk in the Dark Ages, 400-800 A.D., Part II. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXVII Pt II pp 215-249. p 238.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Rector in plunge as parapet falls away. 3 August.
---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077719.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1904. Hundred of Clackclose. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIII. pp 133-139.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TL 69 NW 3.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. Teamwork that led to an award. 22 July.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Church gets Lottery cash for renovations. 31 October.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 401-402.
---Leaflet: All Saints' Church Hilgay..
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Early Saxon. Hilgay.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. Churches trust gives cash aid. 25 September.
<S1>Article in Serial: Clarke, R. R. and Myres, J. N. L. 1939. Norfolk in the Dark Ages, 400-800 A.D., Part I. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXVII, Pt II pp 163- 214. p 182.
<S2>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 195.
<S3>Monograph: Silvester, R. J. 1991. The Fenland Project, Number 4: The Wissey Embayment and the Fen Causeway, Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 52.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service