Record Details

NHER Number:38698
Type of record:Monument
Name:Church Lane, Happisburgh (medieval to post medieval road)

Summary

Cropmarks of a medieval to post medieval road are visible on aerial photographs. This road is shown on a map dating to 1834 as Church Lane. It possibly went out out of use shortly afterwards and it does not appear on a map compiled in the late 1880s.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 37959 31321
Map Sheet:TG33SE
Parish:HAPPISBURGH, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

July 2004. Norfolk NMP.
Cropmarks of a medieval to post medieval road are visible on aerial photographs ((S1) to (S2)). The cropmark extends for 160m on a curving north to south alignment between TG 3797 3124 and TG 3798 3140 (central point TG 3796 3132). The road is visible as a negative cropmark representing a compacted or metalled surface and is flanked by cropmarks of a single ditch on each side. This road is shown on the 1834 Happisburgh tithe map (S3) as Church Lane, when it continued south past the eastern end of the churchyard. It possibly went out out of use shortly afterwards, as its route northwest along the coast had been truncated by erosion by that date. It does not appear on the first edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map in the late 1880s (S4).
J. Albone (NMP), 21 July 2004.

Monument Types

  • DITCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ROAD (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Vertical Aerial Photograph: Environment Agency. 2002. EA 040 AF/02C/339 6982-3 22-JUL-2002 (EA).
<S2>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1941. RAF S/330 3-4 16-JUL-1941 (NMR).
<S3>Map: Joseph Manning. 1834. Happisburgh Tithe Map 1834 (NRO DN/TA 417).
<S4>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1887-1891. Ordnance Survey first edition 25" Sheet XXX.5 (1887-1891).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service