|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Dial House (formerly Nostradomus), King Street|
This large two celled medieval hall house was built around 1500. This seems to have been the prototype of other buildings in New Buckenham apparently adapted mainly for storage or other commercial purposes. The house become 'waste next the street' in 1561 and the consequent repair might give a date for the insertion of the floors, chimney stacks and internal divisions. The roof was raised in the 18th century and replaced in the 19th century. From the early 17th to the early 19th century the property included a tanyard.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 08711 90337|
|Parish:||NEW BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
January 1999. Visit.
Hall house, probably of around 1500 with two inserted stacks and upper floor of around 1600. The three cell plan may be an alteration of the same date. Raised 18th century, reroofed 19th century. Further investigation suggested this is quite an early building, originally two cell with two braced queenpost trusses across the main hall
See report (S1) in file. The observations made at this time are also summarised in (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 25 January 1999.
16 October 2003. Building survey.
Five-bay timber framed building possibly dating to the late fifteenth century, with floors inserted in the late sixteenth century. The front of the house is rendered, and has nineteenth century sash windows.
According to (S3) the site was used as a tannery in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
See report and photographs (S4) in file for details.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 15th July 2004.
Previously NHER 9200 context 73.
This seems to have been the prototype of other buildings in New Buckenham apparently adapted mainly for storage or other commercial purposes. It is probably the house formerly Thomas Undyrwode's on which James Roberdes paid landgable in 1542. Undyrwode was a housewright. Roberde's widow allowed the tenement to become 'waste next the street' in 1561 and the consequent repair might give a date for the insertion of the floors and internal divisions. From the early 17th to the early 19th century the property included a tanyard.
M. Dennis (NLA), 11 May 2006.
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TANNERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1999. Dial House, King Street. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2000. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1999. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt III pp 521-543. p 535. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Rutledge, P.. 1999. Letter from Paul Rutledge. 7 March. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2002. Dial House, New Buckenham, Norfolk. 16 October. |
|<S5>||Monograph: Longcroft, A (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2. pp 107-108. |
|9200||Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)|
Find out more...