Record Details

NHER Number:40585
Type of record:Building
Name:Pinchpot (formerly McIntyre House), Chapel Street

Summary

This two bay timber framed house was built between 1623 and 1625 on a site that was newly developed in the 16th century. Older timbers appear to have been used in the timber frame which is infilled with wattle and daub. The west wing probably dates from 1680 to 1740 and the southern extension is 19th century. The name is derived from the 17th century owner, Widow Stacy, who had a habit of pinching the leather pot at The Bull Inn to increase the profit margin on her beer. This practice may have paid for the showy plaster and woodwork inside the house! Francis Watts a grocer who issued a New Buckenham halfpenny in 1657 also lived here.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 08670 90396
Map Sheet:TM09SE
Parish:NEW BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Two bay timber framed house with wattle and daub infill. Documentary evidence indicates a construction date of 1624 to 1625, although older timbers appear to have been reused, The west wing is later, probably dating from the period 1680 to 1740. The southern extension is 19th century. Ornate plaster mouldings.
See (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 July 2004.

2002. Building survey.
See (S2) in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 July 2004.

Previously NHER 9200 context 16.

(S3) is built on a site that was probabl;y newly-developed in the mid 16th century. It is documented from 1567. The house was rebuilt between 1623 when it is called a 'vacant tenement' and 1625 when it was 'a messuage built'. It was bought in 1622 by Osbert Stacy, landlord of the Bull Inn, who left it to his wife Elizabeth in 1633. The house has showy plaster and woodwork paid for by short measure (pinching the leather pot) at the inn and resulting in the name 'pinchpot hawll' recorded in a document of 1634. Later owners include Francis Watts, a grocer, who issued a New Buckenham halfpenny in 1657.
See (S3).
M. Dennis (NLA), 10 May 2006.

May 2004. Dendrochronological analysis.
Five samples were taken from this building, all of which were usable. The samples complete to bark-edge were each felled in the summer of 1624, and were utilised green, suggesting that construction took place shortly after this date.
See (S6) for further information.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 10 July 2009.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: Unknown. BVS 8A - 11A.
---Unpublished document: Tyers, I. with Brown, S. and Brown, M.. 2004. Arcus Project Report No. 783. A Report on the Tree-Ring Analysis of Properties in New Buckenham, Norfolk..
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Unpublished document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2002. Pinchpot - New Buckenham.
<S3>Article in serial: Longcroft, A. (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham.. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2. p 111-113.

Related records

9200Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)
40607Related to: Beech House, Norwich Road (formerly The Bull Inn) (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service