Record Details

NHER Number:39684
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Post medieval posts from beneath the former Windmill Inn, Ten Mile Bank

Summary

A row of wooden posts and stake holes were revealed during the construction of a new bridge. 18th and 19th century brick, pottery and a shoe were found with the posts. The wooden posts have been identified as spruce or larch wood. It is suggested that these posts may be the remains of a post medieval wooden structure built to support a steam engine used for drainage.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 60440 97016
Map Sheet:TL69NW
Parish:HILGAY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

September 2003. Revealed in constructing new bridge following destruction of Windmill Inn.
Wooden stakes forming rectangle, and also other alignments.
Pottery, shoe, etc. from same area 18th/19th century. Nature of wood suggests the same date.
See (S1) and (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 30 September 2003.

(S3) reveals the posts are spruce or larch but could not be dated using dendrochronology.Spruce and larch are not native to Britan and were introduced into the country from the 16th and 17th centuries. It is likely however, that the wood was imported.
M. Dennis (NLA), 8th March 2006.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • STAKE (Unknown date)
  • BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SHOE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STRING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2003. Notes, sketch plan.
<S2>Photograph: Rose, E.. 2003. KKY 33 to 35. Posts and stakes from underneath the former Windmill Inn.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Groves, C.. 2003. Letter. Ten Mile Bank, Hilgay. 19 November.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service