|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Bishops House/White House|
This high status post medieval timber framed house is now divided into two properties. It was built around 1600, has brick and plaster facings and is three storeys tall. There are two chimneystacks and a central stair. The boundaries of the house plot are marked by earthwork banks of possible medieval date. Medieval pottery sherds and prehistoric flint tools have been found here.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 16410 93265|
|Parish:||FORNCETT, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Listed is (S1) as House adjacent to the Stores, The Street.
Important house of about 1600 of high quality; two rear wall chimneystacks, three storeys, central stair. South wing (now White House) possibly has timber frame older than Bishops House.
Garden bounded by earth banks probably indicating a medieval messuage.
Fine medieval wares and prehistoric flint tools reported by owner.
See brief notes in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 15 October 2003.
November 2003. Visit.
E. Rose (NLA).
July 2010. Application for listed building consent.
The building retains the rear wall of a late 16th century timber-framed house with the front wall being replaced with brick. Sections of the timber-frame are visible including jowled posts, wall plate, two original tie beams and a gable. The gable is a closed truss with a blocked diamond mullion window in it. The house was extended in the 17th century with a narrower building rendering the former gable internal.
S. Howard (NLA), 26 July 2010.
Also see (S3) revised application for listed building consent. 4-light mullion window revealed in sole remaining part of timber frame of 17th-century extension.
S. Howard (NLA), 31 August 2010.
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Heywood, S. (NCC). 2010. The White House (formerly: House adjoining north-west of the Stores, The Street), Low Road, Forncett.. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Heywood, S.. 2010. Revision The White House (formerly: House adjoining north-west of the Stores, The Street), Low Road, Forncett.. July. |
Related records - none
Find out more...