|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Walpole's Almshouses, 40 to 44 The Green|
These almshouses were built in 1871 by Richard Henry and Harriet Vade Walpole. The four terraced red brick houses with stone dressings and slate roofs have a symmetrical six bay façade. The garden walls have Gothic gates.
|Grid Reference:||TG 40952 05447|
|Parish:||FREETHORPE, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Almshouses inscribed ERECTED BY RICHARD HENRY AND HARRIET VADE WALPOLE FOR THE USE OF SIX POOR WIDOWS OF THE PARISH OF FREETHORPE AD 1871. Red brick, stone dressings, slate roof. Single storey centre range with cross wings, forms four houses; symmetrical six bay façade arranged a.b.c.b.b.c.b.a. The 'c' bays have gabled porches flanked by three light windows, Gothic arches. Cross wing gable walls have canted and hipped bays and porches on sides. Central leaning buttress below plaque. Latin cross leaded windows. Pierced bargeboards, fish scale slates, fretted ridge, three symmetrical stacks. Garden walls have Gothic gates.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 6 October 2003.
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ALMSHOUSE (19th Century - 1871 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: Unknown. 2003. [unknown]. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 473. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
Related records - none
Find out more...