|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||3 and 4 South Quay|
No. 4 South Quay is an Elizabethan house. One of the internal rooms retains panelling dating to 1596. The drawing room has 16th or 17th century panelling, a royal Stuart coat of arms above the fireplace and a plaster ceiling. There are 17th century cartouches on the staircase. Bits of the kitchen may be medieval, although may have been reset more recently. A Roman coin was found in a flower bed of this house. No. 3 was originally a courtyard range belonging to No. 4. It also contains 17th century panelling and an 18th century staircase. The two houses were formed into one unit when a Georgian white brick facade was built across both in 1809. A detailed survey of the houses carried out for the National Trust suggested that the structure incorporates an earlier medieval 'Row' (street). The houses are owned by the National Trust and open to the public as The Elizabethan House Museum.
|Grid Reference:||TG 5234 0736|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
The town house was built for Benjamin Cooper in 1596 as indicated on the dining room chimneypiece. There are internal alterations dating to c. 1730 and the façade dates to 1809.
S. Howard (NLA), 15 June 2010.
3 and 4 South Quay.
Georgian front on Elizabethan house. 1596 home of C. J. Palmer's father. Good panelled room of 1596 with pre 1800 Hanoverian royal arms added. Drawing room has 16th to 17th century panelling, royal Stuart arms, and plaster ceilings.
17th century cartouches on staircase. Medieval remains (reset?) in kitchen.
E. Rose (NLA).
1979. Found in flower bed. Back garden.
2AE of Constantius II (AD 337 to 361).
Obverse: FLIVLCONSTANT (IVSAVG). Reverse: GLORIA EXERCITVS with two standard.
Information from Ron Perkins (GYM).
A. Taylor (NCM), 1979.
County Number also includes 3 South Quay which was originally the north courtyard range of No. 4. The façade is covered by a continuation of the same 18th century white brick cladding. It contains 17th century panelling on the upper floor and an 18th century staircase. No.3 listed Grade II, No.4 listed Grade I.
Information from (S3).
E. Rose (NAU), 31 August 1989.
Works suggest that the 17th century panelling in the upstairs room does not belong to the house but was added in the 19th century.
Information from E. B. Green (NCM).
The stack in the room was repaired, and straight joins noted in the brickwork of the sidewalls, confirming that the house is of two periods.
Information from GYM.
(S4) and (S5) show that in fact the joins were where the partition wall containing the fireplace joins the side walls, showing that this wall is an insertion. The partition cuts a blocked window in the façade wall which predates the present façade and fenestration.
E. Rose (NLA), 9 December 1991 & 19 February 1992
1997. Building Survey.
Survey undertaken prior to proposed alterations to the fabric of 4 South Quay. Detailed recording enabled a developmental sequence to be established for the building, including the observation that that extant structure incorporates a former row.
See report (S6) for full details. The results of this survey are also summarised in (S10). According to (S6) it was Palmer who encased the house in white brick and altered the windows, in 1809.
E. Rose (NLA), 30 July 1997. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 17 February 2014.
For full descriptions of both buildings see the revised (S3).
As well as above mentioned survey by R. Smith No. 3 is included in (S7), his detailed survey of Nos 1 to 2 in file for NHER 25433.
E. Rose (NLA), 30 October 2001.
A flexible ventilated dry line system is to be inserted within three ground floor rooms: the kitchen, the pantry and the lavatory. This is necessary to minimize the impact of chronic sea flooding and will allow modern decoration in the effected areas to be replaced with that appropriate to the historical setting.
See details in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 13 March 2008.
April 2009. No. 3 South Quay Road
Proposals to instal lead flashing to the front elevation, secondary glazing to all windows, installation of draught proofing system, replace existing pan tiles with reclaimed clay pantiles and minor internal plastering.
See (S8) and (S9) for further details
H. White (NLA), 7 May 2009
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 510-512; Pl 72. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2008. A moment in time: to kill the king, 1648. 19 July. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Elizabethan House museum faces closure. 29 October. |
|---||Article in Serial: Carter, A. 1980. South Quay, Yarmouth. The Archaeological Journal. Vol 137 pp 306-307. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Yarmouth (Great). |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 150; Pl 55. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. So much history on old monastery site. 21 June. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. Historic building report for The Elizabethan House Museum, South Quay, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Carson, R.A.G., Hill, P.V. and Kent, J.P.C. (eds.). 1960. Late Roman Bronze Coinage.. Cs6a. |
|<S3>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S4>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. [Illustration of Elizabethan House]. 2 March. |
|<S5>||Photograph: Bissonet, D.. 1992. Chimney Stack Repairs, 4 South Quay, Great Yarmouth. |
|<S6>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Smith, R. 1997. 4 South Quay, Great Yarmouth. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 241. |
|<S7>||Unpublished Document: Smith, R.. 2001. Numbers One to Three South Quay, Great Yarmouth - Preliminary Report. March. |
|<S8>||Unpublished Document: Flagship Housing Group Ltd.. 2009. Design and Access Statement, 1-3 South Quay, Great Yarmouth. |
|<S9>||Designation: Listed Building Consent. |
|<S10>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1998. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1997. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt I pp 193-210. p 198. |
Related records - none
Find out more...