|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Gill's Foundry|
This is the site of Gill's Foundry that was Cooper's Factory. The 19th century brick building and chimney was built on the former horse market. The building was demolished in 2004.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 98886 13628|
|Parish:||DEREHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Brick building with base of chimney is all that remains of Gill's Foundry, formerly Cooper's Foundry, constructed in the mid 19th century. See copy of (S1) in file (surviving fragment arrowed) which is overwritten 'Site of New Pig Market,' but according to (S2), this was being used as a horse market before 1873. Frederick Savage was employed here as a young man. Fragment now stands in car park attached to boxing club and may be demolished.
E. Rose (NLA), 16 August 2003.
Fragment in car park demolished.
J. Allen (NLA), 18 February 2004.
Photos by NIAS
NIAS records (S3)
W. Arnold (HES) 20/12/2010
- FOUNDRY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished Document: Dawson, H.. 2003. Letter. |
|---||Photograph: Cherry Tree Car Park, Dereham, Coopers & Gills Foundry Site. Print. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1882. 25" OS. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Sparkes, W.. 1873. Biography of F. Savage.. NIAS Journal. Vol 1, No 6 January. pp 3-10. |
|<S3>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
Related records - none
Find out more...