|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Palaeolithic flint handaxe and undatable prehistoric worked flints|
Fieldwalking in 2002 recovered a Lower Palaeolithic handaxe and several other prehistoric flint implements, including a core, a retouched flake and a knife.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 13607 81664|
|Parish:||DISS, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
October 2002. Fieldwalking.
Several worked flints recovered:
1 Lower Palaeolithic pointed handaxe. Lightly rolled. See drawing (S1).
1 undatable prehistoric knife, 1 core/scraper, 1 retouched flake and 1 flake.
Identified by P. Robins (NCM), see descriptions in file.
These discoveries were reported in (S2). The handaxe is noted on (S3).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 15 July 2003. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 7 January 2014.
- FINDSPOT (Lower Palaeolithic to Middle Palaeolithic - 1000000 BC to 40001 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- CORE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- HANDAXE (Lower Palaeolithic - 500000 BC to 150001 BC)
- KNIFE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- RETOUCHED FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Robins, P. 2002. Drawing of a Lower Palaeolithic flint handaxe from Diss. Paper. 1:1. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 2003. Archaeological Finds in Norfolk in 2003. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt III pp 563-573. p 564. |
|<S3>||Record Card: Wymer, J. J. Wymer Index Card - Palaeolithic. Diss (Walcot Green Farm). |
Related records - none
Find out more...