|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Custom House, South Quay|
An 18th century house, built in 1720 for John Andrews, the largest herring merchant in Europe. The house became a Customs House in 1802. The house contains an 18th century staircase, and wood panelling in some of the rooms.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 5240 0723|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Built as private house for John Andrews, the largest herring merchant in Europe.
Listed as mid 18th century, but  has found a reference to the building being completed in 1702, when Andrews
applied for permission to build a flight of steps to the front door on the public highway; and was refused because he was in dispute with the Corporation, being told that he would have to use a ladder to get into his doorway 'as the Friends do at their meeting house'! The building was acquired by HM Customs in 1802.
E. Rose (NAU) 7 June 1983.
August 1974. Listed, Grade II.*
House. 1720. For John Andrews, a very important herring merchant. Bought 1802 by H.M. Government for use as a Custom's House, sold 1986 to Port of Yarmouth Commissioners. Red brick laid in Flemish bond with stone quoins and dressings. Slate roof. Single-pile plan. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys on a basement; 8-window range in all. Central double doors occupying 2 window bays with an early 19th century porch on a pair of Greek Doric columns. Basement and all other windows under segmental stone arches with keystones. Ground and first-floor horned sashes with 9/9 glazing bars; 6/6 second-floor horned sashes. Parapet partly conceals shallow-pitched gabled roof. Pair of stacks on rear wall plane. To right and left of facade is a narrow bay with an arched entrance to Row 103 (north) and Row 104 (south). Above is one 9/9 sash as before. Rear with a 2-storey outshut and a 2-storey gabled rear extension. INTERIOR: entrance hall with large-framed panelling to north side. Open-string staircase with 3 balusters per tread: a turned baluster separating an iron-twist and a barleysugar baluster. Carved floral tread-ends and a moulded ramped and wreathed handrail. Main north room on ground floor has a bolection-moulded fireplace and large-framed panelling all round. Corresponding south room with an 18th century rosette and dart surround to the 20th century tile fireplace. Large-framed panelling and a moulded cornice . North attic room with re-used 17th century small-framed panelling. 19th century roof of common rafters, a purlin and collars.
Information from (S1).
Listed as II*, see (S1), but dates building to 1720.
Brick, panelled parapet, rusticated stone quoins. Central part 3 storeys and basement, 6 bays; side attachments 2 storeys, 2 bays (one of which is archway in each attachment). 18th century sashes with stone heads. Basement windows
blocked, top storey smaller. Central Tuscan portico is 19th century addition; has Victorian royal arms. 18th century staircase and some good panelling ground and first floors.
E. Rose (NAU) 20 December 1985.
- HOUSE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1720 AD to 1900 AD)
- CUSTOM HOUSE (19th Century - 1802 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF796. |
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 50 NW 46. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 513-514. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Who fancies the keys to two quayside landmarks?. 14 October. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Yarmouth (Great). |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2014. Last chance for Custom House. 18 October. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2015. Developer ordered to repair building. 27 January. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1245800. |
Related records - none
Find out more...