Record Details

NHER Number:26632
Type of record:Monument
Name:Probable 19th century sea defence bank

Summary

Aerial photographs from 1946 and 1967 record the presence of a linear earthwork, thought to be a 19th century sea defence bank.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 66539 32041
Map Sheet:TF63SE
Parish:INGOLDISTHORPE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK
SNETTISHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

July 2001. Norfolk NMP.
A length of bank that appears to run eastwards from a junction with bank NHER 26631, along the north side of decoy pond NHER 28166 and toward the northeast. The bank has a recorded length of 2.3 km, although its course is irregular and meandering, probably as it follows the course of a meandering saltmarsh channel for much of its length. It is also by no means certain that this bank represent one single contemporaneous build. There is a fragmentary off-shoot from the main course of the bank at TF 6629 3172, which may be a later addition. The bank follows the landward side of the channel and was probably constructed to control or prevent flooding from the channel and the saltmarsh in general. The bank is depicted on the 1902-7 revision Ordnance Survey (S1) but is not depicted on maps from the first half of the 19th century, suggesting it is nineteenth century in date.
M. Brennand (NMP), 16 July 2001.

Monument Types

  • BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SEA DEFENCES (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1606 1257-9 27-JUN-1946 (SMR TF 6731A).
---Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1967. OS/67069 172 26-APR-1967 (Norfolk SMR TF 6632A).
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25" 2nd edition (revised 1902-7) XIII, 16..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service