|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Town House and Old Staple Wool House, South Quay|
A building dating back to the 14th century, which has now been demolished. The building was used as a staple wool house in the medieval period, and the earliest public clock in the town was erected on the site in 1593. During the 16th century the building became the Dutch Chapel, and was used as a theatre in the 18th century, and a library in the 19th century. Part of the north wall, which dates to the 16th century, has survived in the Port and Haven Commissioner's office building, see NHER 34317.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 5241 0721|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Formerly Dutch Chapel.
18th century front masking much earlier buildings.
R. R. Clarke (NCM)
Demolished for access road.
1780 and 1809 coat of arms in Great Yarmouth Museum.
E. Rose (NAU)
History in (S2).
Site of 14th century house; 1317 in use as staple wool house. 1593 earliest public clock in town erected. 1619 onwards water bailiffs office. Dutch chapel 1574 to 1681 also used as town chapel of ease. 1736 to 1778 theatre. Public library in 19th century. Compass stone marking boundary of Yarmouth waters formerly outside, now set nearby at modern library entrance. Coats of arms now removed from Great Yarmouth Museum and set in Magistrates Courts.
E. Rose (NLA) 8 May 1992.
In fact the north wall of this building survives, now forming south wall of offices to north, believed to have been built in 1919.
Information from Great Yarmouth Borough Council.
E. Rose (NLA) 18 April 1997.
The latter date should be 1909.
The wall is listed as part of the adjacent building see NHER 34317 and (S3).
E. Rose (NLA) 23 March 1999.
- EXCHANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BOUNDARY MARKER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LIBRARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- THEATRE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WAREHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. NHER4299. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Yarmouth (Great). |
|<S1>||Monograph: Palmer's History and Perlustrations of Great Yarmouth.. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Tooke, C.. 1991. The Town House and Dutch Chapel.. Yarmouth Archaeology. p 25-7. |
|<S3>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1245801. |
Related records - none
Find out more...