Record Details

NHER Number:39682
Type of record:Monument
Name:Medieval bank and Launditch Road or Bank Road

Summary

A low bank survives in the eastern verge of a modern road called Launditch or Bank Road. The earliest documentary record of a feature with this name come from 1382. This, along with the fact that Holme next the Sea/Thornham parish boundary follows it route, suggests that it is of medieval or earlier date (and that it may be similar to the Saxon earthworks in central and west Norfolk). Unfortunately an excavation in 1956 revealed no make-up, ditches or finds. By 1609 there was a road on the course of the modern road.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 72337 43081
Map Sheet:TF74SW
Parish:HOLME NEXT THE SEA, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

THIS SITE IS PART OF NHER 1299.

Road marked on T. Nelson's map of 1609 (S1).

1956.
Section cut by R.R. Clarke (NCM) at TF 7238 4260 (context 1), but no make-up or ditch found, or finds.
See (S2) includes early medieval references to Laundycke.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 July 1986.

Forms Parish boundary with Thornham and was called the Launditch Road or Bank Road. See (S3).
The Ringstead Field Book (S4) (which shows this area, which implies it was then part of the parish) has a portion showing the Launditch Road as marked on the map in (S3) but in greater detail; but here it is not called road but 'The Launditch… this greenbank.'
E. Rose (NAU), 27 February 1981.

Map (S1) in Holme Parish file.

A 17th century Hastings manuscript (S1) refers to the 'Langditch in Holme next the Sea'.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 March 1982.

The 'Laundyche' Road is referred to in a document of 1465 (S5) as dividing the parishes of Holme and Thornham.
The earliest documentary record of the feature dates back to 1382. This suggests an earthwork of medieval or earlier date, possibly similar to the Saxon earthworks in central and west Norfolk (S6).
The bank survives as a slight feature in the east verge of the modern road.
Information from (S2).
D. Robertson (NLA), 26 May 2006.

Monument Types

  • BANK (EARTHWORK) (Early Saxon to Medieval - 410 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROAD (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Higher Level Stewardship
  • Higher Level Stewardship

Sources and further reading

---Archive: Hastings. 1800s. Hasting Manuscript.. NRO MR 250,252 242 x2.
---Serial: 1955. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries. No 2. p 6.
<S1>Map: Heyward. 1609. Map of Holme.
<S2>Article in Monograph: Gregory, T. 1986. An Enclosure of the First Century AD at Thornham. Excavations at Thornham, Warham, Wighton and Caistor St. Edmund, Norfolk. Gregory, T. and Gurney, D.. EAA No 30 pp 1-13. pp 1-3.
<S3>Article in Serial: Ward, G. 1935. A Roman Colony near Brancaster. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt III pp 373-385. Figs 3, 9.
<S4>Map: 1690. Ringstead Field Book Map.
<S5>Documentary Source: 1465. Register of Ramsey Abbey.
<S6>Article in Serial: Wade-Martins, P. 1974. The Linear Earthworks of West Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt I pp 23-38.

Related records

1299Part of: Roads shown on 1609 map of Holme next the Sea (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service