|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Curds Hall|
The hall itself is now demolished, and the remaining outbuildings date from the 17th century, and are partly built with reused medieval masonry. A possible medieval moat was depicted on an Ordnance Survey map of 1883, and the hall probably dated back to the medieval period. A 15th century document mentions a house belonging to John Curds, perhaps referring to the site of the hall.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8870 1242|
|Parish:||FRANSHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Demolished, but outbuildings are of 17th century chequered brickwork, and brick and flint, with in south wall much reused ashlar. Moat like feature on (S1) to the south has gone.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 24 May 1978.
(S2), translation in Necton parish file, refers to the green of 'Denbysegrene' next to the house of John Curde, also called
'Curddesgrene alias Cruddesgrene sive Denbies'.
E. Rose (NLA) 11 March 1993.
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Fransham. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: 1427. Perambulation of the bounds of Necton parish. |
|4208||Part of: The Fransham Obelisk, Little Dunham (Building)|
Find out more...