|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Late Saxon and medieval pits and ditches|
An archaeological evaluation carried out by the Norfolk Archaeological Unit in 2002 revealed Late Saxon and medieval ditches, containing pottery dating from the Middle Saxon to the post medieval period.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7649 3712|
|Parish:||DOCKING, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
February 2002. Trial Trenching.
Evaluation on site of proposed housing development. Contexts 1 to 28.
Several trenches revealed pits and ditches containing shell fragments, domestic animal bones and Late Saxon and medieval pottery. Residual fragment of Middle Saxon Ipswich ware pottery also recovered.
See report (S1) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S2).
The associated archive has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2016.111).
J. Allen (NLA), 25 February 2002. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 6 May 2015 and 21 June 2019.
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- DITCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- PIT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PIT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- QUERN (Unknown date)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Hobbs, B. 2002. Report on an Archaeological Evaluation at Church Place, Docking, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 690. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2003. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk, 2002. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt II pp 368-384. p 370. |
Related records - none
Find out more...