Record Details

NHER Number:36206
Type of record:Building
Name:Church Farmhouse

Summary

A post medieval timber framed house, with possible medieval origins. The main block was originally a hall house and although the date at which it was built is uncertain, it may have medieval features. An upper floor was inserted during the 17th century and the main block was heightened and extended in about 1800. A separate brick wing was constructed to the southeast in the 17th century, possibly as a kitchen. The wing was rebuilt during the 1800s.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 2755 9990
Map Sheet:TM29NE
Parish:HOWE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

June 2001.
Timber framed probable hall house, floored in 17th century.
Building heightened and extended in about 1800.
Separate brick wing, 17th century, rebuilt 19th, may have been a kitchen.
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 June 2001.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 2001. Building Report..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service