|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Potentially Roman/Early Saxon linear features and multi-period finds|
An archaeological evaluation carried out by the Norfolk Archaeological Unit in 1999 revealed several linear features of uncertain, but potentially Roman or Early Saxon date. Finds recovered included a Mesolithic/Early Neolithic flint blade, an assemblage of cruder flints of probable Bronze Age date, a small amount of Roman pottery, a single ?Early Saxon pottery sherd and post-medieval brick and tile.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1181 8004|
|Parish:||DISS, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
March 2001. NAU evaluation.
Single trench excavated within footprint of proposed structure. Contexts 1 to 19 used.
Several potentially archaeologically significant features were identified, including a ditch, a ditch/gully and a ?gully. These features produced 2 sherds of Roman pottery, 1 Late Roman/Early Saxon pottery and a single sherd of ?Early Saxon pottery. A total of 75 worked flints were also found, the majority recovered from a subsoil layer. Although this assemblage included a blade of probable Mesolithic/Early Neolithic date, most of the pieces were of probable later prehistoric (most likely Bronze Age) date, including several irregular cores and over 40 irregular, squat unmodified flakes. Other finds recovered included two post-medieval brick and tile fragments and a small amount of animal bone.
See report (S1) for further details. This work was also noted in (S2).
J. Allen (NLA), 12 February 2002. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 7 January 2014.
- FINDSPOT (Early Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 10000 BC to 3001 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- DITCH (Roman to Early Saxon - 43 AD? to 650 AD?)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- GULLY (Roman to Early Saxon - 43 AD? to 650 AD?)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 411 AD? to 650 AD?)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- BLADE (Early Mesolithic to Early Neolithic - 10000 BC to 3001 BC)
- BORER (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- CORE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FLAKE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- RETOUCHED FLAKE? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman to Early Saxon - 43 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD? to 650 AD?)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: NAU. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Bates, S.. 2001. NAU Report No. 587. Report on an archaeological evaluation in rear garden of No. 2 Church Street, Diss, Norfolk.. |
|<S2>||Article in serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2002. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk, 2001. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt I pp 162-177. p 165. |
Related records - none
Find out more...