Record Details

NHER Number:35943
Type of record:Building
Name:Queen's Head Inn

Summary

This timber framed building has a three cell plan with an original stack, upper floor and attic. The fireplace is carved with AM (for Ave Maria) and 1683. This could be the date of the construction of the building although the construction details date it slightly earlier to around 1650. There have been substantial 19th century alterations.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 3221 8909
Map Sheet:TM38NW
Parish:EARSHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Queen's Head Inn.
Timber framed building of three cell plan, originally stack and upper floors. Fireplace has date of 1683 which could be the date of construction, but building could be nearer 1650. 19th century alterations. The fireplace is carved with AM (for Ave Maria) and 1683. This could be the date of the construction of the building although the construction details date it slightly earlier to around 1650. There have been substantial 19th century alterations.
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 20 February 2001.

It is likely that 'AM' are actually the initials of the owner 'WR'.
Original information compiled by S. Heywood (NCC), 16 July 2010.
See (S2).
S. Howard (NLA), 19 July 2010.

Monument Types

  • INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 316.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2001. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Correspondence: Heywood, S. 2010. E-mail from the heritage explorer website providing feedback on record MNF40144.. 16 July.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service