|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of the Norwich Incorporation House of Industry, Bowthorpe Road|
According to the 1883 Ordnance Survey map this was the site of a workhouse. Further research shows that it was built in 1858-9 as an amalgamation of all the Norwich workhouses, except that in the Cathedral Close, and it was known as the Norwich Incorporated Workhouse.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2086 0898|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Workhouse. Site/remains of.
Marked on 1883 first edition 25in OS. Some of the outline of the building seems to fit certain remaining parts at the West Norwich Hospital, other sections have gone. In 1883 the hospital comprised a separate building to the northeast of the workhouse, and only the Iron Hospital for Infectious Diseases existed south of the road.
E. Rose (NLA) 15 September 2000.
This was built in 1858-9 as an amalgamation of all the Norwich workhouses, except that in the Cathedral Close.
E. Rose (NLA) 26 January 2001.
This was an amalgamation of all Norwich workhouses.
The building was designed by J. Medland and A. W. Mabberley, and built in 1857 as the Norwich Incorporated Workhouse.
E. Rose (NLA) 18 April 2001.
Photograph in file dated 1914.
E. Rose (NLA) 4 June 2001.
- WORKHOUSE (19th Century to World War One - 1857 AD to 1914 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: 1914. Photograph of Workhouse. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...