Record Details

NHER Number:34693
Type of record:Building
Name:Poplar Farm

Summary

This timber framed house dates to the early 17th century. It is based on a cross passage plan and has an original chimneystack and upper floor, along with a high quality inglenook fireplace and apotropaic marks in an upstairs room. The western wing dates to the 18th century. An associated timber framed barn, now converted into a house, probably dates to the late 17th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 1096 9133
Map Sheet:TM19SW
Parish:CARLETON RODE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

September 1999.
Timber framed house on three cell cross passage plan, with original chimneystack and upper floor. Good inglenook fireplace with ruddlling and lining. Details suggests early 17th century yet all visible original windows, including one in the parlour, are unglazed diamond mullions. Parlour end has a number of interesting features not fully visible which might perhaps suggest an earlier date for this end, but which may be due to later alterations; there is one overall roof, of the main period. Once separate servants building, of same date, joined to house in 18th century.
Timber framed barn, late 17th century, now converted to house; remains of outbuilding.
See (S1) in file.
Both house and barn are listed (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 28 September 1999.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Rose, E. (NLA). 1999. Building Report..
<S2>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service