|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||New Gote or Lady Richmond's Cut|
An artificial water channel that was dug in 1547. It was designed to take water from one creek to another in an attempt to divert the Stiffkey River into Blakeney Haven and to reduce silting at Cley next the Sea and Blakeney. In the past it has also been called Cunyer Water, Connyger Eau and Symper Water.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 99919 44634|
|Parish:||MORSTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Also known as Cunyer water and Connyger Eau and Symper water.
Cut made in 1547 to take water from one creek to another in order to reduce silting at Cley and Blakeney.
It diverted the Stiffkey River into Blakeney Haven before the old channel was reopened (by storms?) since when both have existed together, though current Ordnance Survey mapping shows creek at tidal only to northwest of later bridge.
In 1999 the cut is 201m (220 yards) long, 5.5m (6 yards) wide at base west of bridge, 2.75m (3 yards) wide to east. The 1547 document gives the dimensions as 201m (220 yards) by 5.5m (6 yards).
E. Rose (NLA), 8 July 1999.
October 2002. Norfolk NMP.
The post medieval water channel and an associated bank are visible on aerial photographs on the Morston saltmarsh (S2). The channel runs from TF 9989 4463 to TG 0008 4457. The western end is 6.5m wide, however the eastern end narrows to 3m across. This cut appears to have possible associated banks to the north and west, which are roughly parallel. One is just to the north of the western section of the 1547 cut, running from TF 9990 4464 to TF 9986 4462 and is 3m wide. Another section to the west runns from TF 9986 4466 to TF 9982 4468 and is between 3m-4m wide. These banks may be the remains of spoil from the cutting and maintenance of the water channel.
S. Massey (NMP), 4 November 2002.
May to November 2004. Norfolk Rapid Coastal Survey. Context 862.
A straight man-made channel was recorded in the saltmarsh between TF 99894 44634 and TG 00091 44599. Two squared wooden posts were also seen. The feature is ‘Lady Richmond's Cut’, a channel dug in 1547.
J. Allen (NLA), 19 April 2005.
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATER CHANNEL (Post Medieval - 1547 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Wright, J.. 1999. Sounds Familar - the First New Cut?. Glaven Historian. No 2. p 9. |
|<S2>||Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1973. OS/73244 239-40 05-JUN-1973. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Robertson, D., Crawley, P., Barker, A., and Whitmore, S.. 2005. NAU Report No. 1045. Norfolk Rapid Coastal Zone Archaeological Survey. Assessment Report and Updated Project Design.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...