Record Details

NHER Number:34492
Type of record:Building
Name:Eel Farm

Summary

This timber framed hall house dates to the 14th or 15th century. It has a standard three cell plan. The remains of the ornate queenpost roof are still smoke blackened from when the hall was heated by a fire with no chimney. The chimney stack and upper floor were inserted in the early 17th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 0495 9155
Map Sheet:TM09SW
Parish:OLD BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

May 1999. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Farmhouse. Mid 15th century, altered 17th century and 19th century. Plastered and colourwashed timber frame; pantiled roof. Hall house plan, floored in early 17th century.
EXTERIOR: north front of 2 storeys; 3-window range. One 2-light and one 3-light late 18th century casements to ground floor and one mid 20th century 3-light metal window to left. One 4-paned first-floor window. One raking dormer fitted with a 2-light casement. Blocked doorway right of centre. Rendered ridge stack left of centre.
South front with S 2- or 3-light casements, and one 20th century 2-light casement in raking dormer. East gable end has marks of blocked attic window. West gable end with single-storey late 19th century gabled extension with one 2-light casement, a plank door and a brick stack.
INTERIOR: timber frame of very heavy scantling. East ground-floor room with early 17th century bridging beam with sunk quadrant mouldings and jewelled tongue stops. 20th century fire insert in 17th century stack, with bread oven to its left. Left and right of chimneybreast is one 2-panelled early 19th century door. South stack lobby with early 17th century winder staircase, and in room immediately west are both chamfered arched braces to the principal hall truss. Immediately west is hall screens passage with 2 blocked arched openings separated by a heavy principal stud. The timber arches are chamfered. Chamfered bridging beam runs from the stud to the stack.
First-floor east room has tie beam on straight braces. Blocked gable-end window. Fine 17th century stone fireplace bressumer: 4-centred opening with hollow and ogee mouldings, and painted spandrels (red ochre). 17th century floorboards in this room and in floored hall next west. Principal hall truss of a tie beam on arched braces, with queen posts rising to smoke-blackened collar. Remains of a second such truss to east. Queen posts with chamfered corners ending in broach stops. Remainder of roof structure renewed. West room without first-floor access.
Information from (S1).

Timber framed hall house 14th /15th century. Standard three cell plan, service doors remain sunken below ground level. Remains of ornate queenpost roof, smoke blakened. Stack and upper floor inserted in early 17th century but external walls remain original throughout; good quality upper fireplace. Solar remains without access from later upper floor.
See (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 October 1999.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF3491.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1387276.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1999. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service