|Type of record:||Building|
This was the first large tuberculosis sanatorium constructed in Britain. It was built in 1898/99 as prefabricated timber framed structure with brick chimneys and an iron roof. In 1923 a brick extension was added. It became a hospital in 1957 but ceased operating in 1992.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2968 3653|
|Parish:||GIMINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Tuberculosis Sanatorium. 1898 to 1899 for Dr F. Burton-Fanning, the first such establishment in Britain modelled on German and Swiss Sanatoria. Prefabricated timber frame by Boulton and Paul which was later marketed as a standard design. Corrugated iron roof, brick chimneystacks. Long range with cross halls at centre and end. Extended 1923 in brick.
See detailed description in (S1) 1993.
(S2) adds that the original sitting rooms were subdivided to form wards because the original fees were too high. The first pneumothorax operation was carried out here. In the grounds are revolving sleeping shelters.
Press cutting (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 12 April 1999.
Clinic closed due to funding problems,
See (S4) for further details,
H. White, (NLA), 31 March 2010
NIAS records include extensive photographic records with elevations and plans of the original building and all modified/extra construction.
W. Arnold (HES), 16 Febuary 2011
- Prefab (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1898 AD to 1957 AD)
- SANATORIUM (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1898 AD to 1957 AD)
- TUBERCULOSIS CHALET (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1898 AD to 1957 AD)
- HOSPITAL (Cold War - 1957 AD to 1992 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: 1993. Eastern Daily Press. 14 June. |
|---||Unpublished document: Yardley, C.J.. 2011. The Mun Valley: Historic landscape Assessment and Landscape Character Assessment for Norfolk Coast Project.. p 15. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Publication: Richardson, H.. 1998. English Hospitals 1600-1948. p 150. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: 1992. Eastern Daily Press. 30 September. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Old hospital may provide respite care for terminally ill. 19 January. |
|<S5>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
Related records - none
Find out more...