|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Port and Haven Commissioner's Offices, 21 South Quay|
Built in 1909 by Olly and Haward, with a 3 storey gabled façade. On the ground floor are offices with glass and timber partitions, and a cash office. A Jacobean style style staircase leads to the first floor boardroom, which has Jacobean style wood panelling and a decorative plaster ceiling. The south wall of the offices is of 16th century brick, which was originally part of the Town House, NHER 4299.
|Grid Reference:||TG 5241 0722|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Port and Haven Commissioners offices 1909 by Olley and Hayward.
August 1974. Listed, Grade II.
Knapped flint façade dressed as stone, otherwise red brick. Three storey façade rising to gable facing street; 3 bays. Name of offices on frieze above ground floor door and windows. First floor with crossed windows; tripartite casement in gable with 1909 and relief steamship. Interior has boardroom and staircase imitating Jacobean style; partitions and port due window etc.
South wall of 16th century brick. This is the former north wall of the Town House, for which see site NHER 4299.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) 23 March 1999.
- PORT AUTHORITY OFFICE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1909 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 514. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Who fancies the keys to two quayside landmarks?. 14 October. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1245801. |
Related records - none
Find out more...