|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Tower Curing Works, Blackfriars Road|
A fish curing works, built in 1880 around a courtyard with a long range of smoke houses, as well as offices and the manager's house. The works was one of the largest commercial curing works in Great Yarmouth, and survives in almost complete condition, little changed since the early 20th century. The buildings have now been converted into the Time and Tide Museum, and are open to the public.
|Grid Reference:||TG 5278 0698|
|Parish:||GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
July 1989. Listed, Grade II.
16 Blackfriars Road.
Fish curing works of 1880, red brick and some stone.
Triangular site round yard, managers house to west.
Terracotta plaque with JRN TOWER CURING WORKS 1880.
North range has windows to ground floor, swivel vents above and shuttered vents to second floor.
Racks, brine tanks, etc. intact.
Information from (S1).
To be restored as a museum.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 March 1999.
Roof damage in arson attack.
Historic appraisal of the buildings.
D. Gurney (NLA), 31 May 2002.
Plans for restoration in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 February 2002.
September 2003. Watching Brief.
Observation of works associated with the construction of a mast in the courtyard at Tower Curing Works.
One of the pits excavated contained a thin layer of dark material (possibly ash and charcoal), overlying the remains of a possibly 19th-century cobbled surface.
See report (S3) for further details.
J. Allen (NLA), 24 November 2003. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 16 April 2015.
Date stone on an added building reads 1880. The site is noted in Kelly's directory (S4) between 1883 and 1896.
W. Arnold (HES) 09 Febuary 2011
- COBBLED SURFACE (NHER) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FISH PROCESSING FACTORY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SMOKE HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 517. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998-2002. [Articles on the proposal to convert the Tower Curing works into a museum]. |
|---||Photograph: 1992. Photograph of Tower Curing Works, Blackfriars Road, Great Yarmouth. Black & white. |
|---||Photograph: 1990. Photographs of Tower Curing Works, Blackfriars Road, Great Yarmouth. Black & white. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1096791. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Wade-Martins, S.. 2001. Tower Curing Works, Great Yarmouth; Historical appraisal of the buildings. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Phillips, C. 2004. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Tower Curing Works, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 875. |
|<S4>||Directory: Kelly, E.. Kelly's Directory of Norfolk.. |
|<S5>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|MNO7018||Related to: Tower Fish Curing Works Blackfriars Road GREAT YARMOUTH (Revoked)|
Find out more...