|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval water pump|
This water pump was cast in 1835 by Watts of Norwich and erected by Howlett and Bacon for the Norwich and Thetford turnpike trust. It was moved from its original location in 1974.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1947 0563|
|Parish:||CRINGLEFORD, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1835 by Watts of Norwich, cast iron. 2.3m high with 1.6m handle, 10cm (4in) bore, clasped hands and knob finial. Erected by Howlett and Bacon as one of six for the Norwich and Thetford turnpike trust; moved 600m to east in 1974, formerly over 21.6m (72ft) bore. Used for watering the turnpike to lay the dust - the cost is given.
Information from (S1).
Watering of turnpike theory is rejected by (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 16 November 1998.
- WATER PUMP (Post Medieval to Modern - 1835 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Publication: Mosby and Agar. Wymondham Old and New. |
Related records - none
Find out more...