|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Post medieval finds, Roman knife and flint flake, Bacton to Great Yarmouth pipeline project|
A NAU watching brief including fieldwalking and metal detecting in advance of the Bacton to Great Yarmouth gas pipeline recovered two concentrations of post medieval finds including pottery and substantial amounts of brick and tile that may indicate demolished buildings.A prehistoric flint flake and an iron Roman knife or cleaver was also found at this site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3920 2242|
|Parish:||CATFIELD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1997. Fieldwalking and metal detecting. Bacton to Great Yarmouth pipeline. Field/Location RDX 17.3
A flint flake and a Roman Iron knife or cleaver were recovered along with 6 post medieval pottery sherds and 29 fragments of post medieval ceramic building material. The post medieval remains were concentrated in two small clusters and included a substantial quantity of brick and tile, possibly indicating the presence of a former structure.
See (S1) for further details.
E. Rose (NLA), November 1998.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FLAKE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- CLEAVER (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- KNIFE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Crowson, A. (NAU). 1997. NAU Report No. 262. Bacton to Great Yarmouth Power Station Pipeline Archaeological Fieldwalking Survey.. RDX 17.3. |
Related records - none
Find out more...