Record Details

NHER Number:3704
Type of record:Monument
Name:Pattesley deserted medieval village and Pattesley House

Summary

The village of Pattesley is mentioned in the Domesday Book and other medieval documents. Medieval pottery sherds have been collected from the site of the village, but all that survives above ground is a sunken holloway. The medieval church of St John the Baptist was abandoned by 1602 at the latest and fragments of it are incorporated into Pattesley House. This house dates to the 17th or 18th centuries with 19th century additions. It is constructed of brick and flint and includes a staircase that dates to around 1600 (which was inserted into the house in the 18th or 19th centuries). One associated outbuilding may date to the 18th century, whilst the barn and a cart shed date to the late 19th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 8990 2396
Map Sheet:TF82SE
Parish:COLKIRK, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Remains of St John the Baptist's church in house. House is possibly 17th to 19th century in date.

1965 and 1969.
Medieval sherds found; only hollow way remains of deserted medieval village.
(S1) and (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 19 February 1981.

1991.
Medieval sherds, slag, flints found.
E. Rose (NLA).

Appropriate section from (S3) in file.

September 2005.
The village of Pattesely is mentioned in (S4), (S5) and other medieval documents.
The medieval church of St John the Baptist was abandoned by 1602 at the latest and fragments of it are incorporated into Pattesley House. This house dates to the 17th or 18th centuries with 19th century additions. It is constructed of brick and flint and includes a staircase that dates to around 1600 (which was inserted into the house in the 18th or 19th centuries). One associated outbuilding may date to the 18th century, whilst the barn and a cart shed date to the about 1870.
Information from (S1).
Compare with (S6) which states: Former church converted into house in early 17th century. By about 1600 the church was 'whollye ruinated and decayed' and now forms the main domestic block.
D. Robertson (NLA), 6 September 2005.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
  • FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VESSEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF8924A-C.
---Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1808. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol IX.
---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077468.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1903. Hundred of Launditch. The Churches of Norfolk. pp 165-168.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 82 SE 6 [2].
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Colkirk [3].
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
---Photograph: BVA 15-17.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1981. Building Report. Building Report.
<S2>Photograph: Ashely, H.. Pattesley House (G9639-9641).
<S3>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 203; p 54.
<S4>Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2.
<S5>Monograph: Nomina Villarum.
<S6>Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 588.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service