|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, East Rudham|
A medieval parish church, dating from the 13th century. The church was in ruins in the 19th century, and the west tower collapsed in the 1870s. The church was almost completely rebuilt using the original medieval building materials.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8274 2827|
|Parish:||EAST RUDHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
June 1953. Listed, Grade II.
Parish Church. Largely rebuilt 1876. 11th century, c.1200 evidence in chancel, 13th century south transept, 15th century south porch. Rubble and knapped flint, stone dressings, 20th century replacement concrete pantile roofs. West tower, 4 bay nave and aisles, south porch and south aisle transept chapel, 3 bay chancel. West tower 1876, rebuilt after collapse. South porch has knapped flint south face and set-off buttresses only. C.1876 entrance arch, 15th century nodding ogee head niche above with rectangular drip mould head and armorial panel base. Blocked brick dressed north and south openings. 1876 rib vaulted roof, with central 15th century boss of Holy Trinity. C.1300 moulded arch door with C.1300 label stop heads. 2 3-light south and north aisle windows. 4 north and south 3-light clerestorey windows, all 1876 rebuilding, Perpendicular details. Fine south aisle transept chapel has late 13th century 4-light window with trefoil heads to each light, with outer rounded trefoils and minor pointed trefoils in spandrels above, all under outer pointed segmental arch with drip mould heads. 2 south and single returned east and west set off buttresses. Floriated gable cross. West return has single octofoil round window, east has 2 3-light intersected tracery windows under drip mould heads with label stops. Chancel south side has 2 c.1200 lancets, inserted 15th century 3-light tracery window at west. South priests door c.1876. Simple clasping quoined east end buttresses, returned round angles. 5-light c.1876 Decorated east window.
Interior: 4 bay north and south arcades and roofs all 1876. South transept piscina. Chancel has Norman piscina on pillar with interlace top knob bowl. See H.J. Durkinfield Astley Two Norfolk Villages (Norwich 1900) pp.ll-23.
Information from (S1).
Early English building with Norman traces, including a pillar piscina.
Ruins by the 19th century, the tower collapsed in the 1870s, and the church was rebuilt, using medieval materials.
Alabaster fragments found.
See (S1) and (S2).
E. Rose, August 1990.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. Steeplejacks solve problem. 29 June. |
|---||Article in Serial: Plunkett, G. A. F. 1979. Norfolk Church Screens - 1865 Survey. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVII Pt II pp 178-189. p 186. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TF8228/AR - AY. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of Gallow. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VI. pp 102-112. |
|---||Map: Bryant. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. Church chimes to continue. 16 November. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. [Photograph of St Mary's Church, East Rudham]. 8 March. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 323-324. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Artist whose talent was overlooked is in the spotlight. 4 July. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077780. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1978. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...