|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||St Andrew's Hospital|
St Andrew's Hospital was founded as a dependant of St Mary's Priory at Coxford, NHER 3632, in the late 12th century, and was dissolved in the mid 16th century. The exact location of the hospital is uncertain, but it may have been to the north of East Rudham, near the River Tat.
Images - none
Hospital of St Andrew at 'Boycodeswade' dependant on St Mary's Priory, Coxford, NHER 3632.
Similar to an almshouse.
Founded in about 1181 and dissolved in 1536.
R. R. Clarke (NCM)
(S2) says that the hospital was located 'immediately east of Coxford priory'.
E. Rose (NAU)
Founded for a chaplain master and twelve poor persons.
R. J. Rickett (NAU) 6 August 1990
A. Davison has suggested that the hospital lies to the north of East Rudham, somewhere near the River Tat north of the present bridge.
See further discussion in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 4 August 1994.
- HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Rudham (East). |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 143, 172. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Bryant, J.. 1900. Norfolk Churches.. |
|<S3>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Records / Pastscape. |
Related records - none
Find out more...