|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Botolph's Church, Grimston|
A medieval parish church, with some evidence of Norman work. The church building mainly dates from the 13th century, with a large 15th century west tower. Roman tiles have been reused in the church walls. The church contains medieval carved pews, a 13th century font and a 15th century painted screen. Medieval pottery has been found in the churchyard.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7217 2189|
|Parish:||GRIMSTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Roman bricks in south aisle.
R.R. Clarke (NCM)
Context 2: Flower bed immediately east of south porch.
2 sherds glazed Grimston
1 fragment Flemish greenglazed tile.
1 sherd neck of jar, pinkish grey sandy with dark grey surface, date?
A. Rogerson (NAU) 30 July 1985.
Possible Norman work in west wall and as reused stone.
Some evidence of Norman fabric with reused stone and possible Roman tiles.
Present church basically Early English, south aisle first, then chancel and transepts, then north aisle.
Some window tracery replaced in Decorated period.
Perpendicular work includes new roof, further windows, rebuilding of tower and porch.
Sacristy rebuilt as vestry 1631.
Various 19th century alterations.
Early English font.
Good 15th and 19th century woodcarving.
See (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 6 May 2003.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Unknown date)
- BRICK (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 2003. Building Report.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...