|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Andrew's Church, Congham|
The church is mostly late 13th century in date, but the chancel may be older. It contains some possible Roman tiles and was raised to bring it in line with nave and tower, probably in the 13th or 15th century. The 17th century north chapel may have been rebuilt on the site of an older one, although the 17th century building itself was demolished in the late 19th century. The church was heavily restored in 1873. Reports suggest an underground once ran from the rectory to the church tower.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7128 2366|
|Parish:||CONGHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Church mostly of late 13th century date, but chancel may be basically older. It contains some possible Roman tiles. Chancel raised at later date. 17th century chapel now demolished. Total refurbishment 1873.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 May 1989.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Village fact file. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 270. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. Links with Nelson's family. 8 September. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1989. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...