|Type of record:||Building|
Congham Hall was built between 1794 and 1812 and was extended in 1838 to 1890 and in 1946 house. In 1934 a medieval cross was recorded in the grounds. This originally came from Roydon. The hall is now a hotel.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7109 2286|
|Parish:||CONGHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Described by (S1) as early 19th century. In 1934 (S2) noted a medieval cross here originally at Roydon and had stood for a time at North Wootton.
E. Rose (NAU), 1980.
Formerly called Congham House.
(S3) dates house to 1794-1812, extended 1838-1890 and 1946, now a hotel.
See (S4) 1989.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 January 1990.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 270. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. Congham Hall for sale as owners to retire. 11 September. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 124. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 323. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. [unknown]. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk.. Vol 2. |
|31969||Parent of: Congham Hall Park (Monument)|
Find out more...