|Type of record:||Monument|
Congham House was built in 1858 for Robert Elwes the painter and was burnt down in 1939. The Neo-Tudor servants' wing survived but may have been demolished. The iron gates of the house were made in 1870 and are now at Hillington Hall (NHER 3508).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7230 2326|
|Parish:||CONGHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Built 1856, burnt down around 1930 (see (S1) for original extent). Neo-Tudor servants' wing survived but was due for demolition in 1983. Iron gates made in 1870 are now at Hillington Hall (NHER 3508).
E. Rose (NAU), 18 April 1985.
(S2) states that the house was built in 1858 by Robert Elwes the painter and was burnt down in 1939.
E. Rose (NLA), 11 September 1998.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 270. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. Ordnance Survey 25" 1st edition. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Village fact file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...