|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Hillington|
This church dates to the 15th and 19th centuries. The tower and elements of the chancel date to the 15th century. The nave was rebuilt and much of the rest of the building was restored during the 19th century, when a north chapel was also built. In the north chancel is a mural monument dated 1611 and dedicated to the Hovel family. In the north chapel are three big tombs to members of Ffolkes family.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7231 2522|
|Parish:||HILLINGTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Nave rebuilt 1823. See Ladbrooke print in Dr Cotton's Guide (S1).
Two scraps of skull and a rib found 'just outside churchyard wall on building site'. Highly inaccurate report in (S1) refers to an ancient child's skeleton.
Information from E. M. James (KLM).
E. Rose (NAU), 18 October 1983.
List of aerial photographs and press cutting (S2) in file.
15th century and 1824. Built of uncoursed flint with some Sandringham sandstone and carstone, stone dressings, pantiles. West tower, nave incorporating former south aisle, chancel, 19th century north chapel to chancel. Tower built about 1434.
Inside nave and south aisle now one, covered ceiling. Octagonal 15th century font beneath chancel arch (originally from church of St Mary, Islington, Norfolk). North chancel mural monument, 1611, to Richard Hovel and wife, son Richard (died 1653) and wife, of alabaster with Renaissance arches and two pairs of figures each facing each other across faldstools. 17th century wooden cupboard in nave.
For further information see listed description.
Chancel described as new in 1439, much restored 1892. Windows all 19th century. Chancel arch 1982. Tower arch 15th century. Nave rebuilt 1824, absorbing old south aisle. Might be by Donthorne.
In north transeptal chapel are three big table tombs to members of Ffolkes family.
Information from (S3).
D. Robertson (NLA), 9 March 2006.
Casual find 17 June 2008.
Rim sherd unglazed Grimston ware jar or bowl (weight 14g), found at  in recently dumped soil, probably from the north of the church.
See description in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 18 June 2008.
- CHURCH (14th Century to 21st Century - 1400 AD to 2100 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF7225A-D, E-G, H, M-P. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Illustration: Ladbrooke. [unknown]. |
|---||Leaflet: 1985. Saint Mary's Church, Hillington.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Cotton, S.. [unknown]. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. Child's skeleton found. 15 October. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 402-403. |
Related records - none
Find out more...