|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Site of Hillington Hall, gardens and dovecote|
This is the site of a post medieval great house and associated features. The original Hillington Hall was built in 1624. Between 1824 to 1830 it was incorporated into a new hall designed by W.J. Donthorne. It was demolished in the 1940s and a new house was built. Associated with the site of the hall are a 17th to 19th century walled garden, a 19th century dovecote and a complex of 19th century brick drainage tunnels. The house is surrounded by a landscape park (NHER 30512) and a farmhouse and stables are located to the northwest (NHER 43186).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7253 2612|
|Parish:||HILLINGTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
April 1985. Visit.
Site of halls, original built 1624, rebuilt 1824 to 1830 by Donthorne, demolished about 1946. Modern house incorporates small part of 1830 hall perhaps with some 17th century bricks. Complex includes walled garden 17th to 19th century, stables house 17th century altered 19th century, dovecote and farmhouse 19th century and a complex of brick drainage tunnels 19th century.
E. Rose (NAU) and J.J. Wymer (NAU), 18 April 1985.
Report (S1) in file.
Proposals for new house (S2) in file (1997).
Photograph of 19th century hall in (S3), photocopy in file.
The 19th century hall was Gothick in style and was buit of carrstone with Kempstone dressings, rendered brick quoins and battlements. Two storeys.
Information from (S3).
Original house built for Richard Hovell. Altered and extended 1760s by William Ffolkes. 1820s worked carried out for Sir William J. Ffolkes. Walls from the houses are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs.
Information from (S4).
There is an engraving of Hall from about 1760 in (S5).
The stables house and farmhouse mentioned above are now recorded as NHER 43186.
D. Robertson (NLA), 9 March 2006.
The Hall was used by the Royal Flying Corps during WWI and by the Army in WWII (S6).
D. Gurney (HES), 30 August 2013.
- GARDEN WALL (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (17th Century to 19th Century - 1624 AD to 1830 AD)
- LIVERY STABLE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD to 2100 AD)
- DOVECOTE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)
- DRAINAGE SYSTEM (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (19th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1830 AD to 1949 AD)
- HOUSE (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1949 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF7226 M-R,U-AA,AC-AH,AQ-AS. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1168632. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 72 NW 4. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. Hall is testament to colourful past. 28 February. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2008. Echoes of a lost heritage. 29 November. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 403-404. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Hillington. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1985. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Kenworthy-Browne, J. (et al.). 1981. Burke’s and Savills's Guide to Country Houses. Volume 3: East Anglia.. |
|<S4>||Publication: Edwards, D. & Williamson, T.. 2000. Norfolk Country Houses from the Air. pp 87-88. |
|<S5>||Monograph: Williamson, T.. 1998. Archaeology of the Landscape Park: Garden Design in Norfolk, England, c. 1680-1840.. BAR (British Series). Vol 268. Pl 38. |
|<S6>||*Verbal Communication: David Sullivan. 2013. [unknown]. |
|30512||Parent of: Hillington Park (Monument)|
|43186||Part of: Dairy Farmhouse and stables (Building)|
|MNO2367||Related to: East Gateway to Hillington Hall Flitcham Road HILLINGTON (Revoked)|
Find out more...