Record Details

NHER Number:3410
Type of record:Building
Name:St Michael's Church and Mintlyn deserted medieval village

Summary

The overgrown ruins of the medieval church stand here. Sections of the north and south nave walls survive and are built of carstone, stone, brick and pieces of metal working debris. Fragments from a 11th or 12th century arch are now in King's Lynn Museum and the font is now in a nearby garden (NHER 51316). The church once stood within the village of Mintlyn, a settlement mentioned in the Domesday Book. Mintlyn was deserted during the post medieval period and its exact extent is uncertain.

Images

  • An engraving of Mintlyn church.  © Norfolk County Council

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6571 1925
Map Sheet:TF61NE
Parish:BAWSEY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of deserted village. Ruined church, Norman and 15th century.
Extent of village unknown. Village mentioned in Domesday Book (S1) and Nomina Villarum (S2). Some cottages marked on a map of 1690 according to member of the public [1] and (S3).
Church has remains of west wall with Perpendicular window, fragment of wall to east, reset overgrown, according to (S4).
In 1975, a member of the public [2] recorded tapslag in church walls and on surface.
Photographs (S5) show wall is carstone with stone quoins, brick gable and Perpendicular window. Sections of north and south walls with quoins of doorway. To east isolated corner and brick with stone.
E. Rose (NAU) 8 July 1980.

June 1981. Visit.
Quoins in north and south walls may be for windows. Tap slag confirmed in walls. Interior overgrown.
Norman font and part of a tympanum with dogtooth ornament.
E. Rose (NAU) 17 June 1981.

1984.
Tympanum and fragment of voussoir given to KLM.
See notes in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 31 August 1990.

See reference (S6) and photographs (S5) in file.

The font has been removed and been taken to NHER 51316 and is a listed building, grade II.
E. Rose (NAU) 25 September 1998.

2002.
Bracken cut, ruin visible. S. Heywood (NCC) visited to assess fallen masonry, difficult to reach any definite conclusion regarding these fragments.
H. Paterson (A&E) 21 June 2002.

October 2005.
The font is now recorded under site NHER 14091.
D. Robertson (NLA) 10 October 2005.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF6519B-D.
---Serial: Bryant, T.H.. About 1900. Norfolk Churches.. 2.
---Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1993. Building Report..
---Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 61 NE 1 [5].
---Unpublished document: Council for the Care of Churches. 1992. Mintlyn, St Michael, Norfolk (Norwich).
---Serial: Pevsner, N.. Buildings of England..
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Bawsey.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
<S1>Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2.
<S2>Monograph: Nomina Villarum..
<S3>Archive: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S4>Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South..
<S5>Photograph: Ashley, H.. 1980. Mintlyn Church (G9430, G94432, G9434, G9435 and G9437).
<S6>Publication: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12. p 116.

Related records

51316Related to: Norman font from St Michael's Church, Mintlyn (Building)
MNO4053Related to: Ruins of Church of St. Michael MINTLYN (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service