This church is a rare example of a Georgian church, built in 1713 after the collapse of the old church tower in 1701 destroyed much of the building. It was built by local architect Henry Bell and consists of a west tower, nave, chancel, south organ chamber and north and south vestries. Most of the fabric is brick and carstone but earlier Norman (and possibly Anglo Saxon) materials have been incorporated. Like many churches it has been subject to late 19th century alterations. Interesting feature inside this church include a beautiful 18th century polished marble font brought in 1907 from St Margaret's in King's Lynn and fine tablets dedicated to wealthy local families. The 18th century church stands on the site of its medieval predecessor.
This church mostly dates to 1713 constructed by Bell in the Classical style and using materials from the old church. This rebuilding was necessary as the tower of the previous church collapsed in 1701 flattening the church. The current tower is basically built from Norman materials with carved fragments that might be older. Church extended and altered in late 19th century. Internal furnishings of 1713; font from St Margaret's Lynn but not the panelling as often wrongly stated.
See detailed report (S1) and numerous photographs (S2 and S3) in file.
See also (S7).
E. Rose (NLA) 23 January 2001.
See press cuttings (S4 and S5) in file.
Another press cutting filed under NHER 3368.
Stripping out of north vestry confirmed that this was an original entrance porch.
Again see (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) 24 April 2004.
January 2007. Historic building report.
All Saints church was constructed between 1703 and 1713 following the collapse of the earlier medieval church. The church has a western tower and a centrally planned nave of four columns supporting a domical groin vault. There are slight pedimented projections to the north and south and a large chancel. The nave and tower are rendered and the chancel is exposed carstone. The interior of the nave bears resemblance to Byzantine churches in the centuries after the Emperor Justinian. Four ionic columns support the vault of which the groins are decorated with putti. The reredos with gold-painted pilasters and panelling fills the entire east wall and was designed by Henry Bell in 1684 for St Margaret's in King's Lynn from where it came to Runcton. The paintings are late 19th century by Lamponi.
See (S6) for further information.
S. Howard (NLA), 15 June 2010.
The 18th century church was constructed on the site of its medieval precursor (S8)
J. Albone (HES). 14 June 2014
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. Not a lot of people know that!. 24 November. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Clough, Martin. All Saints' Church, North Runcton. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Butler-Stoney, Richard. 1986. North Runcton, leaflet. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 573-574; Pl 96. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. pp 274-275; Pl 19. |
|---||Leaflet: A History of the Parish Church, All Saints, North Runcton.. |
|---||Monograph: Upton, D.. 1986. Sacred and Profane.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2004. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Photograph: Rose, E.. 2004. KPB. |
|<S3>||Photograph: Rose, E.. 2001. JXD 28-34. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1991. Thanks for the memory…. 24 May. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. [Photograph of All Saints' Church, North Runcton]. 8 February. |
|<S6>||Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2007. Historic building report for All Saints Church, The Green, Ructon, Norfolk. Building Report. January. |
|<S7>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2002. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk, 2001. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt I pp 162-177. p 170. |
|<S8>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. p 49 note 15. |