Record Details

NHER Number:33484
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Medieval and post medieval finds


A medieval whetstone, a medieval strap fitting, and a medieval or post medieval fragment of an unidentified object, found by metal detectorists.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 43 13
Map Sheet:TG41SW

Full description

January 1998. Metal detecting finds.
Complete length 50mm medieval copper alloy composite strap end, made from a spacer plate between top and bottom plates. At the terminal, a narrow neck ends in a knop formed from all three plates plus a fourth with relief decoration of an animal head. This is rather schematic and actually looks rather like a leaf drilled with two holes for eyes. A groove has been filed around to make the jaws look open. 14th century.
Decorated fragment from a larger object. A curving copper alloy rod supporting stems of two trefoil leaves each with an incised cross on one side and a relief 3 pronged motif on the other, arranged so that the object has one of each motif on either face. Hard to parallel, but black lacquer coating must date it to late medieval/early post medieval.
Identified by H. Geake (A&E).
A. Rogerson (NLA) 27 February 1998.

December 2000. Metal detecting. Site extended.
?Medieval schist Honestone, variable width and shape of section (triangular to round), three grooves and much wear from sharpening narrows at centre, 135mm long.
Identified by S. J. Ashley (NLA) January 2001.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 7 February 2001.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • PERSONAL ORNAMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WHETSTONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PERSONAL ORNAMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources - none

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service