|Type of record:||Monument|
A park, created in 1848 from an arable field. The park was known as Diss Arboretum, and 19th century maps show the park with paths running through mature trees. The park remained in private ownership until 1960, when it was transferred to the Town Council.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1151 7972|
|Parish:||DISS, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
National Historic Gardens Survey grade three-star (national importance).
Also known as the Arboretum.
Was arable land in 1814; Unitarian chapel built on it in 1822.
In 1848 land was opened to the public to forestall an attempt to have the level of the Mere lowered and a footpath made round the edge, to decrease pollution.
The land did not officially become public until 1960.
Important for history of site.
E. Rose (NLA) 25 February 1998.
- GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume One. |
Related records - none
Find out more...