Record Details

NHER Number:3329
Type of record:Building
Name:Church Farm

Summary

This 17th or 18th century house has various later additions. It is built of red brick and there is a 11th or 12th century stone doorway, presumably from the ruined St Mary's Church (NHER 3328). In the late 1970s the 14th or 15th century font from the church was being used as a flowerpot. The house was known as Bawsey Hall in the early 19th century.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6620 2033
Map Sheet:TF62SE
Parish:BAWSEY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Reused Norman masonry and font in 17th century building.

September 1979. Visit.
House is basically L-shaped, of small red bricks apparently late 16th/early 17th century type. Two storeys, string course on east. In angle of building is a half round turret with pinnacle roof, in which is set the front doorway. This is a Norman stone doorway presumably from the church (NHER 3328), perhaps the nave north doorway. Above it is a window made of reused stone blocks.
The font from the church, noted in a flowerbed here by R. R. Clarke (NCM), is now in the orchard southwest of the house and used as a flowerpot; it is octagonal, sides of differing lengths, with on two sides carved heads or knobs; 14th to 15th century?
E. Rose (NAU).

1998.
S. Heywood thinks the font has been lost.

September 1988.
Dated as early 18th century with 19th century addition. One first floor window stated to have a Gibbs surround in sandstone. This may be a misprint as the wording says 'similar sandstone' but the only previous references are to reused limestone and carrstone (is it, or is it conglomerate?). The rear wall inside an outshut is stated to be of stone blocks but the interior was not seen.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) 25 September 1998.

Shown as Bawsey Hall on Bryant's map 1826 (S2).
E. Rose (NLA) 22 May 2001.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • Xdoorway (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1300 AD to 1500 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Bawsey.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service