Record Details

NHER Number:3320
Type of record:Building
Name:SS Peter and Paul's Church, Edgefield

Summary

The parish church was rebuilt in 1883 by J.D. Sedding, using architecural materials taken from the ruins of the nearby medieval church. The church contains material dating from the 14th and 15th centuries, as well as a 13th century octagonal font and a 15th century chancel screen.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0935 3419
Map Sheet:TG03SE
Parish:EDGEFIELD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Rebuilt 1883 by Sedding on new site with old materials.
Tower, chancel and clerestory are of 1883. West window is old east window, see (S1), and is reticulated Decorated.
South aisle is Perpendicular, clustered arcade pillars, with one Decorated window. North aisle has Decorated arcade with octagonal pillars and Perpendicular windows. 14th century windows in north porch. Font octagonal 13th century on new base. Reset piscina in chancel? (or copy). Painted chapel screen 1526 also fragments of old wood in vestry.
Monuments 1737 onwards.
One set of 19th century stained glass is obviously reset, where from?
Plate: paten, Norwich 1568, chalice, Norwich ?1691, almsdish, London 1829.
See (S1) and (S2).
Visited E. Rose (NAU), 30 April 1975.

According to (S3), the original organ in this church was from St Mary Aldermanbury, London; destroyed after an accident 1937, replaced by organ by Jones of Holloway originally made for house in Muswell Hill, London.
Bell of 1632 from old church.
E. Rose (NAU) 11 June 1982.

According to (S4) the tower was in fact not added until 1909 and the clock is a war memorial of 1921.
E. Rose (NLA), 16 October 2006.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1902. Hundred of Holt. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol IX. pp 50-56.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 453-454.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990. Jets loop as roof falls. 15 November.
---Leaflet: Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Edgefield..
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 125.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049204.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Sad note on organ. 11 June.
<S4>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service