Record Details

NHER Number:3311
Type of record:Building
Name:Trinity or Howard Hospital post medieval almshouses

Summary

These early 17th century almshouses are a single storey brick quadrangle with a pantile roof. The entrance to the building is under a gable framed by two towers and two chimneystacks. In one of these towers is an original panelled room, and the treasury chest. Across the courtyard is a chapel dated to around 1870 and behind this the hall and the governesses' quarters.

Images

  • Trinity Hospital, Castle Rising.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
  • The courtyard of Trinity Hospital, Castle Rising.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6669 2487
Map Sheet:TF62SE
Parish:CASTLE RISING, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

May 1976. Visit.
Trinity or Howard Hospital (almshouse).
Early 17th century, before 1614. Single storey quadrangle of brick, irregular bond, and pantile roof: but entrance is under gable framed by two towers, all of same height, and whole framed again by two chimneystacks. Original door leads to entrance with large bell. In one tower is original panelled room, and the treasury chest. Opposite across the courtyard is the chapel, twice rebuilt (lastly around 1870) which projects; it has some 17th century pews and chairs; also a cross and candlesticks by Voysey around 1894. The Hall next to it has also original tables, benches, chairs and cupboards. Interiors of dwellings modernised. Behind are ?19th century coal stores,to be demolished.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 May 1976.

Monument Types

  • ALMSHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: 3 March 1975. Eastern Daily Press.
---Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 62 SE 27 [3].
---Monograph: Castle Rising History Group. 2010. The Ancient Borough of Castle Rising: from prehistory to the present day..
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Castle Rising.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service