|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||SS Peter and Paul's Church, West Newton|
This church has a stately 14th century unbuttressed west tower of carstone with freestone corners. A contemporary image niche sits beside the west window. The pinnacles are 19th century additions. The doors and arcades are 14th century. The body of the church is also largely of carstone, consisting of a nave, chancel, north and south aisles and north chancel extension. The building was in a poor state by the 19th century, until the Prince of Wales bought the Sandringham estate, revitalising the local economy. His patronage led to an almost complete restoration of the church in 1881, when the north aisle was rebuilt, the nave roof renewed and the south aisle given wide, almost domestic mullioned windows. The stained glass dates to this restoration and the years following it, except for a vivid window in the north aisle commemorating the men of the Sandringham Company of the Norfolk Regiment who fell in the disastrous attack at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli in 1915. Inside, beneath the 14th century tower arch sits a slender 15th century octagonal font with a tall and elaborate pinnacled wooden cover, given in 1881. Gifts to the church from royalty and others include the organ, the chancel stalls, the pulpit and the altar reredos. The elaborate lectern was given by Arthur Blomfield, the architect of the 1881 restoration.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6962 2759|
|Parish:||SANDRINGHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Earliest dateable work of about 1300 in tower, though some parts may be older. 14th century arcades and doors, 15th century windows and porch. Restoration by Blomfield 1881 when new nave roof made. 15th century font. Various 19th century Royal memorabilia. A 14th century window from here is said to be that at Litcham, site NHER 13541. Important early bell and bell frame.
See full report (S1), press cuttings (S2) to (S4), pamphlet (S5) and correspondence (S6) in file. Listed (S7).
E. Rose (NLA), 19 July 2000.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (19th Century to 21st Century - 1881 AD to 2100 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Website: Knott, S.. 2006. St Peter and St Paul, West Newton. http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/westnewton/westnewton.htm. 2 May 2007. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 766-767. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. 2000. Building Survey. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. [Photograph of SS Peter and Paul's Church, West Newton]. 5 November. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. [Photograph of SS Peter and Paul's Church, West Newton]. 4 November. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. [Photograph of the inside of SS Peter and Paul's Church, West Newton]. 26 January. |
|<S5>||Unpublished Document: Butler-Stoney, R.. 1985. West Newton, The Church of St Peter and St Paul. |
|<S6>||Correspondence: Waite, D.K.. 2000. Letter to E. Rose (NLA). 18 July. |
|<S7>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342429. |
Related records - none
Find out more...