Record Details

NHER Number:32633
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of a World War Two pillbox

Summary

Site of a World War Two pillbox . It is visible on 1940s aerial photographs and was associated with Happisburgh radar station (NHER 14147). It was demolished between 2002 and 2006.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3683 3166
Map Sheet:TG33SE
Parish:WALCOTT, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Fairly common 1940 type 22c pillbox facing northeast.
Information from member of the public [1]. See record form (S1) in file.
D. Walker (NLA), August 1996.

September 2004. Norfolk NMP.
An extant World War Two type 22 pillbox is visible on aerial photographs ((S2) to (S4)). The grid reference for this pillbox has been amended form TG 3683 3165 to TG 3683 3166. It forms part of the defences associated with Happisburgh radar station (NHER 14147). It was in place by August 1940 (S3).
J. Albone (NMP), 13 September 2004.

May 2010. Aerial photograph.
Google Earth aerial imagery from September 2006 shows that this pillbox had been demolished by that date (S5).
J. Albone (NLA), 14 May 2010.

Monument Types

  • PILLBOX (TYPE FW3/22) (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • PILLBOX (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Norfolk Defensive Structures Survey record form.
<S2>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1634 1099-1101 09-JUL-1946 (Norfolk SMR TG 3630B / TG 3730C).
<S3>Oblique Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1940. NMR TG 3731/12 (MSO 31015 2A/BR14/5 3636) 16-AUG-1940.
<S4>Vertical Aerial Photograph: Environment Agency. 2002. EA 040 AF/02C/339 6980-1 22-JUL-2002 (EA).
<S5>Vertical Aerial Photograph: Infoterra Ltd and Bluesky. Infoterra Ltd and Bluesky 10-SEP-2006 (Google Earth TG 3683 3166).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service